Thursday, October 05, 2006

More Fishing Friday

Yes, I know it is not Friday yet. I have to be out of town tomorrow and will not be able to post. Now, on to the story. My wife and I took some friends to Assateague Island, MD this past Saturday. My stepson joined us as well. I had been reading some on-line fishing reports and knew that the bluefish were hitting on finger mullet rigs. I made sure to stop at the shop next to the beach to load up on fresh finger mullet. The day was rather chilly and the wind blew non-stop the entire day. It would have been a great day to have a kite on the beach. We also picked up some firewood for a fire on the beach. My stepson had purchased some live eels to try and catch some of the large striped bass migrating down the coast. He rigged up and began the wait and see that is surf fishing. After about fifteen minutes, he checked his bait only to find out that something had bitten off the tail of his eel. We both figured it was a bluefish. Not long after this, I got a bite on one of the finger mullet rigs. I set the hook and soon had my prize. My first blue of the day. When I went to put the fish in the cooler, he spit out the eel tail. Greedy little bugger was gorging. The fishing stayed pretty constant on the mullet rigs and I caught about a dozen keepers. My friend Dale only managed to hook and land one little blue. I didn't feel too bad though as he caught this 17 pound drum back in April and I got nary a bite. Somedays you get the bear, and somedays the bear gets you. All in all it was a great day with good friends and a lovely fire on the beach.

No comments: