Friday, September 15, 2006

Melissa's Birthday

I wrote this on the occasion of my wife's birthday. I don't claim to be Shelley, but here goes.

Thirty Years Ago

Oh, that we would have met
thirty years ago.
We could have then been sweethearts
and watched each other grow.
To see each passing day as
a gift from God above.
Growing in grace and knowledge
and in the wonder of His love.
We could have gone to dances
and other such occasions.
Helping to shield each other
from life’s careless abrasions..
We could have shared each others triumphs
as well as all the sorrows.
Though yesterdays were sad
there’s always the tomorrows.
You’re certainly a gift from God
I thank Him for every day.
I know that I’ve enjoyed the time we’ve spent
up till this very day.
I have but one regret
and I’ll say it once again.
Oh, that we would have met
thirty years ago.

4 comments:

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa!
that was such a sweet poem! I'm just glad you met when you did. You guys are such a picture of God's redemtion. I love you both.

ShaggaBear (Linda) said...

what time zone do you have your blogger set on? it keeps lying about when I am commenting.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday! Michael...that was beautiful. Made me cry, but we all know that doesn't take much. :) Hope the day is fabulous. LOVE YOU

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!! Michael you are very talented! I'll have to send you the hilarious poem that Nathan wrote me awhile ago.